With the holidays just weeks away, I can’t get enough of squashes, pumpkins, and the pumpkin pie spices(ground cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg).
I love adding these pumpkin pie spices to scones, muffins, cookies, oatmeal… Besides being a super healthy spices, they are festive and delicious.
When I was pregnant with Marjie, I developed Gestational Diabetes. I enjoyed eating cinnamon everyday along with a special healthy diet. I was able to control the disease with diet and exercise alone.
Today, I decided to get my holiday spice fix, and also create something a little more special and festive in this recipe. I made some pumpkin pie spice chips the other day. The chips melted a bit, and made this bread sensational. Enjoy this bread with your loved ones. If you feel inspired, use leftover bread to make my pumpkin pie spice bread pudding.
This recipe for pumpkin spice chip bread is adapted from King Arthur Flour’s Irish Soda Bread recipe.
|Pumpkin Spice Chip Bread
Recipe type: Quick Bread
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup can sugar for batter
- 2 tsp cane sugar for sprinkling on top
- 1/4 cup raw hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin pie spice chips
- 1 large egg
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin oilive oil
- 1 2/4 cups plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan(I use extra virgin olive oil)
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, pumpkin spice chips and pumpkin seeds, in medium bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, yogurt, milk and olive oil
- Using a rubber spatula, fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan
- Sprinkle top of batter with the cinnamon and cane sugar
- Bake the bread for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until toothpick clean
- Remove the bread from the oven, loosen its edges with a knife
- After 5 minutes carefully turn it out onto a rack to cool(you might need a butter knife to coax bread out)
- Cool completely before slicing
- Store in a sealed container at room temperature